Oxfam is a global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice. We offer lifesaving support in times of crisis and advocate for economic justice, gender equality, and climate action. We demand equal rights and equal treatment so that everyone can thrive, not just survive.
Purpose of the position
To obtain increased funding support from institutional donors including foundations and other US-based funding mechanisms, through cultivating relationships and writing grant proposals and reports that align the interests of Oxfam and institutional donors.
- Operating in collaboration with program staff and other members of the Institutional Funding & Partnerships team, proactively engage donors in increasingly positive relationships throughout the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship stages of the fundraising process.
- Prepare, write, and edit compelling donor-facing materials (concept notes, grant proposals, grant budgets, letters, reports, and briefings) as needed to support fundraising strategies.
- Research foundation donors to build prospect pipelines; share information with IFP, program, and country/affiliate colleagues.
- Understand donor strategies and interests. Develop donor cultivation plans and influencing strategies as applicable and work with relevant Oxfam program/policy and executive staff to implement those plans/strategies.
- Remain current on trends in foundation giving; help to incorporate knowledge into strategic fundraising planning for Oxfam.
- Work collaboratively with program/policy staff, and others, to help make Oxfam’s work more marketable to institutional funders.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of assigned thematic work areas, and as needed, act as a resource to the fundraising and communications staff regarding this program knowledge.
- Proactively engage with Oxfam country/affiliate teams across confederation and learn about their work; share knowledge with colleagues as applicable.
- Manage necessary relationships with program/policy staff, finance department, support functions, and other Oxfam affiliate/country staff to ensure donor requirements are understood and met.
- Maintain timely records of donor engagement activities in Oxfam’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system (Salesforce)
- Undertake donor-related travel (domestic and international) as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends, and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based, problem-solving work culture treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America’s mission, values and goals.
- Will have a fundamental understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice, racial equity, and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to and be accountable for activities contributing towards a safe and accountable workplace environment, projects and relationships for staff, partners, and the communities we serve.
- Ability to undertake approximately 20 days of job-related national and international travel each year.
Coordinates with: Institutional Funding & Partnerships (IFP) team; other Resource Development teams; Campaign, Finance, MEL, Communications, & Program staff; Private Sector Department; Executive Office; and Oxfam affiliates and country teams.
- Certification in related field(s), Associate degree, or some studies in pursuit of Bachelors degree, (preferably in a field related to writing, communications, political science or international relations), or combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years related experience in successful proposal writing to secure grant funding from US foundations.
- Superior writing, oral communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to cultivate positive relationships with donors, staff, board members and volunteers. Excellent listening and motivational skills.
- Strong time management, organizational, planning and administrative skills, including comfort with various information systems, and fluency with word processing and spreadsheet applications on MS Office and CRM databases.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices relative to foundations and bi-lateral/multi-lateral donors.
- Knowledge of budget construction and interpretation.
- Ability to communicate in French or Spanish.
- Experience with Client Relationship Management (CRM) systems; preferably Salesforce.
- Experience in an issue-oriented non-profit organization or in an international development organization.
This is a Grade F Union position with a salary range of $62,000 to 73,000.
United States (remote)
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.