Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
Feeding America is the nation’s second largest charity and the leading domestic hunger-relief charity in the United States. Our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The Director, Digital Fundraising leads development, planning, execution, and optimization of a comprehensive digital fundraising strategy to support FANO strategic priorities and imperatives in acquiring/retaining a strong donor base to accelerate growth of unrestricted fundraising revenue. Also ensures integration with offline fundraising and effective deployment of cause marketing initiatives across FANO digital properties.
- Work as a leader for the Direct Marketing team and collaboratively partner across the Marketing and Digital Experience (MDX) team to drive online revenue with a multichannel approach to digital marketing and fundraising campaigns – including testing and measuring the impact of integration.
- Partner with agency and MDX leads to develop and invest in a sound digital fundraising strategy grounded in an integrated, multichannel approach that includes spend and channel mix across search engine marketing (SEM), programmatic media loyalty, third-party platforms, paid social, email and emerging media channels.
- Establish fundraising revenue target for digital fundraising across owned, earned and paid digital media channels and ensure the digital marketing and media plans support fundraising goals to achieve the revenue target; acquire, cultivate, retain, steward, and diversify donor base.
- Collaborate with leaders in Philanthropic Operations and Marketing Operations to define media measurement framework for evaluating performance and implement the framework to create consistency and accountability against FANO strategic priorities, imperatives, revenue targets and department objectives.
- Build, manage, and oversee relationships with digital marketing and digital media agencies, engage with digital creative production agencies and participate in regular reviews of provider portfolio, in collaboration with department leadership.
- In coordination with department leadership, develop, and manage digital fundraising marketing and media expense budgets to support needs for media placements, production, and measurement.
- Identify, evaluate, and share emerging trends, tactics, insights, opportunities, and threats related to digital fundraising to educate peers; inform FANO approach; elevate top practices; and influence strategic and annual planning.
- Ensure effective delivery/implementation of cause marketing initiatives across all platforms.
- Manage team - focusing on goal setting and accountability to achieve desired outcomes. Provide support and guidance to team to cultivate talent.
- 7+ years of experience driving ~$40-$50 million of fundraising revenue in progressive paid media roles, including experience working with media agencies and with data-driven, performance media, associated tech, and planning across media channels.
- Strong analytical and data interpretation skills related to paid digital media and digital marketing, with keen understanding of media analytic tools used to drive performance optimization.
- Experience managing media, marketing and/or creative agency relationships and budgets, including developing a lead conversion strategy, digital media advertising and execution.
- Superior interpersonal skills and comfort working in a collaborative environment to serve as a thought partner to cross-functional teams, translating digital fundraising strategies into actionable next steps and successful execution.
- 4+ years supervisory experience, including aligning team members and their time to support strategic priorities, leading, and developing a team to achieve impact, while maintaining productive relationships.
- Innovative, growth mindset with excellent problem-solving capabilities.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through work and action. Is committed to people keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different background and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies:
- Foster Innovation: Pursues opportunities to identify new ideas, scan for best practices, share learnings, and drive continuous improvement. Analyzes current practices, policies, and procedures to find areas for improvement and apply best practices. Reinforces a data-driven, learning, and innovation-focused mindset across the organization through persistent inquiry for and sharing of external practices. Gives others latitude to test new ideas and learn from the experience.
- Collaborates Internally and Externally: Leads cross-functional work groups and is regularly sought out to work collaboratively on problem-solving teams. Networks and fosters relationships with external partners to achieve long-term mutually beneficial outcomes. Promotes constructive conversations that challenge ideas and consider alternative points of view about issues and options. Models positive engagement in resolving conflict and elevates a focus on mission and what is best for the people we serve. Avoids finger-pointing and preserves others’ reputations, even in challenging situations.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Develops projects that support the execution of strategic initiatives. Translates department strategy into SMART project goals and deliverables for teams and individuals. Cascades strategies and goals to all team members.
- Manages for Results / Delegates Effectively: Holds self and team accountable for achieving measurable goals and ensures people know what to do to optimize resources and deliver strong results. Constructs executable project plans and allocates time and resources necessary to implement priorities. Evaluates total impact of solutions to mitigate future problems and swiftly identifies and breaks down barriers to achieving results. Monitors and reports strategic progress to all levels in the organization. Provides supportive, direct feedback and addresses poor performance quickly, giving specific suggestions for improving performance. Trusts others to do their jobs and assigns clear accountability and decision making with appropriate authority.
- Communicates Effectively: Conveys clear and effective messages using verbal and written communication to individuals, small groups, and large audiences. Shares timely, relevant project/operating priorities and updates to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors, and other groups. Reads audiences, asks questions, and uses feedback to adjust messages and style as necessary to make positive impact. Seeks first to understand before voicing own opinions. Shares difficult or negative messages in a tactful manner.
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range: $104,000 to $130,000+ Based on Experience
Here at Feeding America national organization, equity is central to our mission and is an integral part of our compensation policies and structures. Historically, systemic racism and sexism in all aspects of our society, including compensation practices, has led to pay inequities that negatively impact people of color, women, and especially women of color. These practices include basing salary offers on previous compensation and negotiating salary offers. As such, we maintain transparent salary ranges and clearly defined practices for how our team, including new hire salary offers, moves through these ranges.
You can expect us to offer the best salary up front based on these clearly defined pay practices with little room for negotiation. The salary range listed below represents the starting to mid-point salaries for positions and comparable roles at this level at our organization and candidates should expect to be offered a salary near the starting point of the range that is listed on the job posting. We make exceptions for highly experienced (multiple years of at-level experience) new hires in accordance with our pay practices. Once hired, employees have the opportunity to progress through salary ranges via regular merit increases and step promotions.
This position is based out of Feeding America’s Chicago office. At Feeding America, we believe in offering a flexible work environment. Employees can be in the office an average of 2 days a week (when not travelling for work) and work from home on other days. Employees also have access to a 30-day “work anywhere” program during the course of each calendar year that can be combined with PTO and/or holidays.
Feeding America recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce where all employees feel a sense of belonging and contribute to a culture that values differences, ideas, and experiences. We intentionally seek out diverse perspectives and skills on our teams, knowing that it makes us stronger as an organization and better equipped to serve our neighbors in need. We encourage individuals from historically under-represented communities and individuals with lived experience of hunger to apply.