The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization on a mission to equitably decarbonize buildings in this decade to improve the livability of our communities. Our partnerships with local communities, government leaders, and businesses provide unique insights into how to make this vision a reality.
IMT seeks a dynamic, outgoing, results-oriented individual to lead and implement an organization-wide strategy to grow our corporate and individual giving programs. We seek a self-starter able to build upon and manage our current initiatives and processes. They will work closely with the growing number of corporations interested in IMT’s mission, joining IMT program staff at the forefront of market-based solutions to today’s climate and energy challenges. In addition, the successful candidate will have extensive experience building strong relationships in the buildings or energy sector.
The Director of Corporate and Individual Giving leads IMT’s efforts in corporate and individual donor prospecting, sponsorship, membership, tracking and related support in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan. This position also works strategically with the program teams to identify opportunities for projects, events and other means of corporate and individual donor engagement. The Director supports the IMT Executive Director in corporate and individual donor outreach. The position reports to the Managing Director of Advancement.
Corporate Partnership Development and Management (70%)
Partnership Cultivation and Management:
- Research and identify prospective partners who are aligned with the organization’s mission and programs. Work with Program Directors to identify specific prospects through existing connections and other sources, and match program goals with opportunities.
- Actively cultivate and manage corporate relationships through dedicated sponsorship activities including events and projects, as well as general corporate contributions for IMT. Provide regular updates and reports on the impact of their contributions.
- Staff IMT’s Executive Director; prepare and present briefing materials; and assist with the stewardship of the Executive Director’s corporate outreach, travel, and meetings.
- Work with Team Leaders to research conferences and events for prospective IMT participation; prepare and debrief staff.
- Maintain corporate funding, partnership, conference, and event records and a calendar of related deadlines and reports.
- Work with IMT finance staff to coordinate budget development and financial reports.
Fundraising Campaigns and Events:
- Plan and execute corporate giving campaigns and fundraising events in collaboration with the program teams.
- Coordinate sponsorship opportunities and ensure the fulfillment of benefits for corporate donors.
- Collaborate with the communications team to create compelling fundraising materials and collateral to support corporate giving initiatives.
- Prepare and submit grant proposals and funding applications to corporate foundations and giving programs.
Employee Engagement Programs:
- Develop and manage employee giving programs, including workplace giving, matching gift programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Impact Assessment and Reporting:
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of corporate giving initiatives.
- Prepare regular reports and presentations to share outcomes and progress with internal stakeholders and corporate partners.
Individual Giving Cultivation and Management (30%)
- Develop, manage and maintain a portfolio of individual donors, major gift and planned giving prospects.
- Develop and execute strategies to identify, research, cultivate and solicit qualified prospects for major and planned gifts.
- Establish and maintain relationships with individual donors and prospects, through personal visits and other forms of direct personal contact in accordance with performance targets.
- Recruits, engages, and manages volunteers and provides them with leadership and direction in support of the cultivation and solicitation of major donors and prospects; coordinates volunteers’ activities to ensure their integration into the organization’s mission.
- Updates skills regularly to enhance knowledge of major gifts and planned giving trends, best practices and tools. Identify creative and innovative tactics for growth in identified donor communities.
- Expands and grows donor base.
- Manage ongoing donor relationships through regular contact, personal visits, communication and follow up.
- Arranges meetings with donors and prospects for cultivation, stewardship and solicitation.
- Consistently document key conversations and other pertinent donor information in donor management database.
- Work with IMT’s Communications team on digital content for donor appeal emails and make recommendations for the timing and parameters of appeals, as well as drafting donor appeal emails and other fundraising materials, as needed.
- 10+ years of experience in a relevant role to include extensive experience working with the buildings and energy sector
- Has a well-built professional network and a willingness to open doors to new investment opportunities
- Commitment to advancing social and environmental justice
- Outstanding interpersonal, organization and time management skills;
- Ability to take initiative, manage multiple projects, and prioritize effectively;
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation, and communications skills;
- Experience communicating the value of policy, research, and market-facing programs to a corporate audience;
- Demonstrated ability as a closer, converting corporate relationships into meaningful engagements;
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter, able to think creatively in establishing the program and to work effectively in a fast-moving, rapidly-developing environment
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $125,000-135,000, commensurate with experience. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off.
This is a full-time remote position, with preference for someone based out of the DC, Maryland, or Virginia metro area. Occasional domestic travel to in-person meetings and conferences will be required.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by clicking on Apply for Job. Please write “Director – Corporate and Individual Giving” in the subject line.