Union Kitchen is a Food Business Accelerator. We build successful food businesses by empowering food founders with access to our Ecosystem, Roadmap, and Industry Expertise from launch to scale. Since starting in 2012, we’ve worked with over 650 food businesses, including DC favorites Compass Coffee, Snacklins, Eat Pizza, Veggie*Confetti and many more!
We’re seeking a food-obsessed, hard-working retail professional who is committed to excellent customer service and is ready to support the growth of CPG food and beverage brands.
We all do it all at Union Kitchen! Our stores are where local food products meet the DC community for the first time. By running a top notch grocery store, coffee shop, and deli, we get to engage directly with our community and provide valuable sales and feedback to our Accelerator members, so they can learn what works, and what doesn’t.
- Oversee all aspects of the grocery store's operations, including inventory management, ordering, stocking, merchandising, and pricing.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to maximize sales, reduce costs, and improve overall store performance.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety regulations, cleanliness standards, and quality control procedures.
- Lead, motivate, and mentor a team of employees, including hiring, training, scheduling, and performance management.
- Maintain and track payroll and store labor budgets, as set by Senior Management
- Foster a positive work environment that encourages teamwork, accountability, and professional growth.
- Set clear expectations, provide ongoing feedback, and recognize outstanding performance.
- Promote a customer-centric culture and ensure exceptional service standards are consistently met.
- Address customer inquiries, concerns, and complaints in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Develop and implement initiatives to enhance the overall shopping experience and customer satisfaction.
Vendor and Supplier Relations
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with vendors and suppliers to ensure timely and reliable product delivery.
- Stay up to date with industry trends, new product releases, and market developments to help source innovative and unique products.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Proven leadership abilities in the grocery, retail, and/or restaurant industry.
- Knowledge of grocery store operations, merchandising techniques, and inventory management.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively manage, inspire, and coach a diverse team of employees.
- Excellent organizational and multitasking abilities, with a keen attention to detail.
- General computer literacy with spreadsheet and point of sale software experience (Google Sheets and Square a plus!)
- DC DOH Certified Food Protection Manager & ABRA Manager license highly preferred
Salary & Benefits
$60,000 / year
- Weekly Payroll
- Enjoy free coffee and shift meals
- Capital Bikeshare membership
- Medical and Dental Health Care
- 25% off of any item in the store
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Time-and-a-half on major holidays
- Nationally recognized training, including WSET and Cicerone
Washington, DC (USA)