Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods, and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) – the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1800 registered projects in 80 countries that account for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
Carbon markets and climate action more generally are growing rapidly and driving ever-increasing levels of climate investment, much of it certified by Verra. At the same time, expectations for the nature and integrity of such investment are evolving and demanding new levels of sophistication and interaction with government policies and broader frameworks for climate action under the Paris Agreement. We are building the Climate Policy and Strategy team to support Verra in evaluating and engaging with its policy and market environment and to help foster the ongoing growth and maturation of its climate-related programs.
With the rapid growth in carbon markets driving a new wave of project development, Verra is seeking a Senior Manager to join the Climate Policy and Strategy Team within the Legal, Policy and Markets Department.
A day with Verra might inclue:
- Preparing policy papers and contributing to industry initiatives on appropriate and effective roles for crediting to contribute to corporates’ net zero emission commitments
- Liaising with policymakers and regulators to develop potential for Verra standards to strengthen government climate policies and financing
- Working with internal work programs to align Verra’s certification programs with external uses and expectations of credit quality
- Serving or otherwise supporting the work of market advisory boards on behalf of Verra
- Analyzing policy and market developments and drawing implications and strategic responses for incorporation into Verra’s work
- Preparing policy dialogues with sector, government and international bodies to exchange experience and develop work to scale climate and development impacts
- Liaising with the International Standards Organization (ISO) and other bodies concerning the development of new standards relevant to the use of Verra’s crediting programs
- Speaking at events and expert groups on behalf of Verra
- Working with colleagues in communications, stakeholder engagement, and sustainable development markets on the delivery of key messages relating to Verra's offerings
- Developing policy positions and building consensus on the credible use of carbon crediting to support the delivery of carbon and climate finance
- Collaborating with policy makers to integrate Verra’s certification programs in national and subnational policy, including compliance policy mechanisms (e.g. CORSIA, national programs) and climate finance mechanisms (e.g. GCF, national programs)
- Supporting governments with innovative approaches to engage in carbon markets in the context of voluntary private sector action and Article 6 of the Paris Agreement
- Supporting the development of quality and claim frameworks aimed at scaling up carbon markets and other investments in climate action (e.g. ICVCM, VCMI, SBTi, ISO)
- Monitoring and supporting the development of international policy frameworks under intergovernmental treaty arrangements (e.g. UNFCCC, ICAO, IMO)
- Collaborating with work programs under sectoral and market associations (e.g. IETA)
- Identifying and feeding external policy implications into Verra’s program development to support their effectiveness and credibility
- Contributing to Verra’s strategy-setting and monitoring to help guide Verra’s long-term growth and direction
- Developing messaging and its delivery to support Verra’s communications work and engagement with its broad community of stakeholders
- At least 10 years professional experience, in particular focused on climate policy and market responses to climate change or other environmental concerns.
- Deep understanding of global developments in climate action and financing arrangements, awareness of policy and market drivers, and an appreciation of challenges and opportunities facing countries and other stakeholders active in this area.
- Experience with supporting policy developments, particularly in developing countries
- Experience with the development of, or participation in, carbon market activities, crediting, trading or financing arrangements would be beneficial.
- An innovative, critical thinking mentality for solving complex and interconnected challenges and proposing clearly articulated, workable solutions; Track record of successfully contributing to and executing strategies.
- Strong organizational skills and discipline to be able to prioritize and work eﬃciently and effectively under deadlines in an independent manner.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations, and ability to work with stakeholders and partners from difference countries and cultures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other languages would be an advantage.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Helping to develop and implement strategies that establish a solid role for Verra’s crediting programs in voluntary and compliance carbon markets and other ﬁnancing.
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive ﬁnance towards high-impact activities that tackle the most pressing environmental and social issues of our day.
- Gaining exposure to challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities aimed at reducing emissions and improving livelihoods.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on climate and sustainable development, including government oﬃcials, private-sector actors, NGOs, and others.
- Learning from a diverse group of climate and sustainable development thought leaders and other talented professionals at Verra.
You will know you are successful, if...
- You are seen as a leader and a go-to resource by your peers.
- You are seen as a reliable and capable member of the team by your manager.
- Your knowledge of carbon markets and sustainable development grows.
- You help push team deliverables across the ﬁnish line on schedule.
- Verra stakeholders express positive feedback regarding your ability to collaborate.
- Verra is able to develop and strengthen its programs and catalyze climate action.
Salary & Benefits
For this position, the salary range is between $79,847 - $107,569 USD. The compensation band is based on a U.S. base salary range and shares the min and max base salary for the position. This position is eligible for remote work.
The final compensation offered will be contingent upon role, level and location. Our Talent team can share the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including climate policy and carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers and auditors.
- Committed to driving quality so that finance can flow at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.