Salary Range: $104,388 - $137,367 annually
Placement on range determined by relevant experience presented in application materials
Full-time, exempt position plus full benefits package.
This position is open until filled. First review of applications on December 5th , 2022.
About this Opportunity
Come join a high-functioning, innovative team and lead Hillsboro towards a sustainable and resilient future!
As the Sustainability and Resiliency Manager, you will serve as the City’s key thought leader regarding emerging best practices in climate mitigation and adaptation strategies. In this role, you will thoughtfully and strategically guide climate related initiatives, including implementing the City’s Sustainability and Resilience plan and facilitating broader Environmental Assessment work. The collaborative nature of this role will ensure that you work with internal and external stakeholders to plan, define, and implement sustainable, resilient, and climate friendly practices in city-wide operations and supporting the work of community-wide initiatives that facilitate a sustainable, resilient, and climate friendly Hillsboro.
Located in the City Manager’s Office and under general supervision from the Government Relations Manager, the Sustainability and Resiliency Manager also oversees the recycling and solid waste program, including direct supervision over recycling and solid waste program staff, sustainability support staff, and fellows and interns as applicable.
Successful Candidates Will Have:
- Knowledge of policies, practices, programs, regulations and current trends related to sustainability and climate change, including but not limited to: energy efficiency, renewable energy resources, natural resources, air quality, green building, economic development, land use, transportation and urban and environmental planning.
- Fluency at communicating complex technical matters to non-technical audiences, including policymakers, community partners, and internal stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent project and program management skills comparable to someone with multiple years of management and supervisory experience, including developing workplans and timelines, budgets, and managing small or medium sized work teams.
- Demonstrable success establishing and maintaining effective, collaborative working relationships and the ability to operate with a high degree of professionalism, diplomacy and tact within a diverse workforce and community.
- Ability to plan, assign, direct and supervise the work of professional and technical staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Creating a positive, safe, and supportive work environment that promotes teamwork and the City’s core values and commitment to integrating diversity, equity and inclusion in our organizational culture, programs, projects, and services.
- Utilizing the recently completed City of Hillsboro Assessment of Environmental Resource Management, provide leadership, vision, and cross-departmental collaboration to support a thoughtful and strategic implementation plan.
- Partner with City departments to update and manage the City’s Sustainability and Resiliency Plan; define issues, processes, priorities, and communication strategies within the plan, including community-based sustainability priorities within the City of Hillsboro’s 2035 Community Plan; review City operations, business practices, and policies to identify opportunities for sustainable improvements in line with the City’s sustainability goals and objectives; evaluate the impact of climate change on City operations and community; develop adaptation and mitigation strategies; submit regular reports to executive leadership, applicable committees and boards, and City Council.
- Through collaborative leadership with internal and external stakeholders, research current best practices and innovation, technologies, and ideas in sustainability, including greenhouse gas emissions reductions and inventory, energy conservation, renewable energy, climate mitigation and resiliency, electric vehicles and alternative fuel infrastructure, transportation options, natural resource management, waste reduction and recycling, and sustainable goals and policies.
- Serve as a skilled facilitator who works collaboratively with city leadership, departments, boards and commissions, committees, or other governing boards to develop strategic direction and integrate the City’s sustainability and resiliency policy and practice.
- Work with managers to create work plans, allocate resources, and prioritize sustainability and resiliency initiatives in response to changing internal or external opportunities.
- Evaluate emerging opportunities to build partnerships to accelerate sustainability and resiliency initiatives, including new technologies, approaches, and funding options.
- Monitor major projects to identify needs and opportunities to align City planning, transportation, housing, environmental and sustainability policies, with a focus on preparing and adapting to a changing climate.
- Monitor existing state and federal sustainability and climate change programs and emerging state and federal sustainability and climate change policies.
- Supervise staff and provide oversight for the City’s recycling and solid waste program and sustainability program staff.
- Develop justifications for budgetary recommendations; and lead the process to project additional funding requirements for the program, staffing, and resource needs. Provide, coordinate, and budget for staff training related to sustainability and program delivery.
Current & Upcoming Projects
- Develop implementation plan for the Environmental Assessment.
- Update and re-brand the City’s Sustainability and Resiliency Plan.
- Begin building budget recommendations to support Environmental Assessment work and existing sustainability and resiliency plans and initiatives.
- Establish trusted working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead the development of a Natural Resources Management Plan.
- Partner and/or lead the development of an Urban Forestry Plan.
- Lead the completion of an Integrated Pest Management Plan.
- Manage and lead existing sustainability and resiliency policies and programs.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Bachelor's Degree; and 5 years of related experience including 2 years of supervisory experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external; customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Integrity and Trust - Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Managing Diversity - Manages all kinds and classes of people equitably; deals effective with all races, nationalities, cultures, disabilities, ages and both sexes; hires variety and diversity without regard to class; supports equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all.
- Organizational Agility - Knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures; understands the cultures or organizations.
- Functional and Technical Skills - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Comfort Around Higher Management - Can deal comfortably with more senior managers; can present to more senior managers without undue tension and nervousness; understands how senior managers think and work; can determine the best way to get things done with them by talking their language and responding to their needs; can craft approaches likely to be seen as appropriate and positive.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.