About Meals on Wheels of San Francisco
Meals on Wheels of San Francisco is the leading provider of nutritious, home-delivered meals and services to older adults in the Bay Area. The nonprofit has been in operation since 1970!
Meals on Wheels of San Francisco are committed to the belief that all seniors have the right to live independently with dignity and respect in their own homes for as long as safely possible. It is our mission to provide isolated homebound older adults in San Francisco with nutritious meals, daily human contact, and supportive services to prevent their premature institutionalization.
Meals on Wheels of San Francisco seeks an experienced Director of Major Gifts to join the organization’s development team. This individual will support key fundraising goals, will own and manage a portfolio of 150-200 individual donors, and play a central role in cultivation and solicitation.
- Grow and manage a portfolio of approximately 150-200 major and planned giving donors and prospects that have the capacity to give five and six figure gifts.
- In partnership with the Chief Development Officer and Board, create and implement a planned giving program that aligns with the mission and goals of Meals on Wheels San Francisco.
- Create comprehensive moves management and engagement plans for each prospect and execute that plan to ensure individual donors are cultivated and stewarded in meaningful ways.
- Secure in-person and virtual meetings with donors to convey organizational needs and opportunities for annual or other campaign initiative monetary gifts.
- Ensure that donors receive timely acknowledgements and accurate updates on the use of their gifts.
- Ensure all donor records are regularly and properly updated in Salesforce with the most recent communications, research data, in the news articles and other pertinent information.
- Support ongoing meetings with the Board and development committee as needed.
- Prepare reports/dashboards for monthly and quarterly strategy meetings that will highlight portfolio activities, milestones and challenges to help meet annual and other campaign initiative goals.
- Support Chief Development Officer with events, including creating guest lists, coordinating collateral, managing RSVPs, and other event related needs.
- Remain current on planned giving best practices, including tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets, and estates.
- Responsible for meeting (or exceeding) all established individual and departmental goals and metrics.
- Experienced major gifts officer (gifts of $1,000 or more) who is independent, highly motivated, and results-driven
- Energized by both building relationships 1:1 with donors and prospects and organizing thoughtful events to bring our donors together in community
- Thoughtful team player with a sense of humor who seeks to delight donors
- Excited to build authentic relationships - internal and external - to build their portfolio and increase support from key stakeholders
- 5-7 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, with progressive responsibility and a proven track record of soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts and planned gifts
- Confident and skilled in the art of forming and meaningful relationships with high-net worth individuals
- Superior communication skills; able to thoughtfully and genuinely articulate a compelling case for support
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Self-motived to organize and manage a high volume of donor contacts and projects, while at the same time, seeking appropriate guidance and input from others along the way
- Knowledge of regional philanthropic landscape and/or funders that emphasize giving preferences aligned with the mission of Meals on Wheels San Francisco
- Ability to embrace the mission, vision, values, and philosophies of Meals on Wheels San Francisco
- Proficiency with donor management software, Salesforce is strongly preferred
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Victoria Silverman at firstname.lastname@example.org by clicking on Apply for Job.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary range is $130,000-$150,000
- Medical, Dental, Vision: MOWSF funds 100% of the employee premium and 50% of dependents towards the Platinum Kaiser HMO 90 0/10.
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance and long-term disability
- 15 days paid vacation in the first year of employment on an accrual basis (20 days after 5 years and 25 days after 10 years)
- 10 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 2 personal days off with pay. Eligible new employees on a prorated basis based on their start date
- The opportunity to raise crucial funds in support of nutritious meals, minor homes repairs, and safety checks for 5,400+ homebound seniors
Meals on Wheels of San Francisco is committed to equity. MOWSF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender transition, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, disability, or pregnancy in its programs, activities, or employment recruiting and hiring process.